The Journey of an Anonymous Unemployed 0L - Blogged

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Rants and Raves

First order of business for this evening: Accept me already! 

I'm waiting on an incredibly slow school to send me an acceptance, and judging by the experience of several people I know who have been admitted, the committee sat down with my application today.  I know this because of some tell-tale signs on their online status checker.

When did law school admissions become a breeding grounds for signs and omens?  First, you wait for the little icons on LSAC's site to turn from green to gray because your forefathers on the message boards tell you that that is a sign that scores will be posted soon.  Once you have your scores though, you apply to schools.  Schools all have their own idiosyncrasies, and you're checking status checkers every hour, stalking the admissions dean via Twitter, Facebook, etc.

I'm not a fan of this.

As cocky as it sounds, I'm not at all worried about getting in to this school.  I just want to see it in writing.  I've already been accepted to a couple top 30 schools, with scholarship even, and this one is a third tier school.  I'm applying because I really want a good scholarship and I don't want to move for law school if I can help it.  It's also a very good school if you want to practice in my home town.

Second order of business: Advice from friends...

So, I keep getting advice emails from friends who are law students or lawyers about all the pitfalls and whether or not I should be doing this, and so on.  And the thing is, I really appreciate the advice.  I've just heard it all already.  I'm very informed about law school and the legal profession in general.  I know that the economy and the new legal model are screwing law school grads and many if not most will end up unemployed or doing document review for Wells Fargo foreclosures.

I just don't like getting these emails any more because they take up a good deal of my time to read, and then I have to write long, thoughtful responses to them and try not to sound like I'm saying "dude, I got this brah."

Oh well, I suppose I have the time on my hands right now and should just deal with it.  They're only trying to help.

Ohh! One more thing:  I have an "audition" to teach test prep classes coming up! It's only part time, but I think that it will be good for me because I can keep this up during summers if I'm having trouble finding sufficient work.  Wish me luck! (if anyone actually reads this thing)

No comments:

Post a Comment